Water lt 1 Butter or pork lard gr 260
Salt gr 12
Wheat, low gluten gr 1000
Eggs gr 1200/1300
Sunflower oil lt 2
1. Put the water, butter or lard and salt in a saucepan (pic 2)
2. Bring to boil, then add the flour (pic 3)
3. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes 4. Add the beaten eggs (pics 4, 5)
5. Make ring shaped zeppole on baking paper squeezing the dough in the icing bag with star nozzle (pic 6)
6. Fry in the sunflower oil at 180 C. Variation: bake in pre-heated oven at 200 C° 3 to 4 minutes and then finish by frying in boiling oil. (pic 7)
7. Garnish with confectioner’s custard* and wild cherries in syrup (pics 8, 9)
Confectioner´s Custard (Crema Pasticciera)
Milk 1 Lt
Sugar 260 gr
Egg yolk 280 gr
Flour 60/ 80 gr
Salt 2 gr
Lemon Zest n.1
Place the milk in a pan together with the vanilla and the lemon zest. Bring to a boil.
Beat well the egg yolks together with the sugar
Then add the flour to the egg yolk and sugar mix
Add the milk and blend with a whisk. Add the salt.
Simmer until it reaches a creamy consistency
Lay on a mould and cover with a plastic film leaving no air between the film and the custard to prevent the surface from drying.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before using
Recipe by Pastry Chef Francesco Elmi
Recipes Editor: Elena Ruocco.
Photos: Paolo Della Corte- FOOD REPUBLIC